Tuesday 14 August 2012

Fashion/Life Observation: The second handbag (the tote)

Some of you may have gathered from my previous witterings that I commute to work by train. Every morning and evening I see thousands, ok exaggerating but probably 100 people. I'm always nosey and looking at what women are wearing and my keen eyes always dart toward shoes and handbags!

I've noticed over the last few months that the majority of women are commuting with not one but two handbags. The second bag is often some form of tote, while the first is the, not always that small, handbag. I am currently on the hunt for a new tote bag and decided to share with you a few of my favourite web-window shopping finds...

This I had to include...the Butterfly Print Canvas Bag from Warehouse. As you may have guessed from the title of my blog I do indeed love butterflies. I've seen this in store, its super roomy and has a zip, so the bag can be done up for extra security. Such a good deal for just £30.
Butterfly Print Canvas Tote - Warehouse
There is of course always the light canvas tote which you can pick up anywhere from Primark to Jack Wills. However, I like this more structured alternative, the Faux Nubuck Shopper Bag from Topshop. A bit more expensive at £36 but with all the inside pockets it could easily be used as a weekend handbag too. Plus the long shoulder strap will make it easier to carry if you wanted to bring home some heavier folders or your laptop.
Faux Nubuck Shopper Bag - Topshop


Moving into a heftier price bracket, I have two bags I have been eyeing up lately. The first from DKNY is the French Grain Tote. A tad more expensive at £260. However, I love the sleek classic design, all the pockets and compartments plus the added features of the bag charm and scarf. This wouldn't be as practical as the bags above and probably couldn't carry your laptop, notepad, lunch, water bottle plus random junk. But it's just so pretty!
French Grain Tote - DKNY
The other bag I have been looking at is the Hamilton Tote Bag from Michael Michael Kors. In the shops I always love this bag, its a bit more practicable than the DKNY as it has less pockets and is quite roomy. However, the thing that puts me off is whenever I see anyone with this bag it always look so worn and misshapened. I don't know if this is because the bag is not hard wearing or whether the people I have seen just don't look after their bags, but I am a bit reluctant to lay down £285 for a bag which doesn't look great after a few uses.
Hamilton Tote Bag - Michael Michael Kors

And finally, the creme de la creme. I couldn't decide between a Louis Vuitton or a Mulberry for this coveted position in my tote bag wish list. Alas, I have a big case of Olympic/I Love Britain fever at the moment so the golden crown goes to the homegrown Mulberry Bayswater Tote. Unfortunately, its way out of my price league.
Mulberry Bayswater Tote
So there are my top five Tote bags of choice. I'm currently on the hunt for a new tote bag so if any of you have any suggestions or a favourite tote, I'd love to hear from you.
xoxo

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...